- About us
The land was purchased in 1951 by a large Melbourne based Accounting firm known as LG Norman & Cartledge who decided to open an office in the thriving post-war Latrobe Valley.
Work commenced on the building in January 1952 by Mr. Ron Jones, a well-known local builder, Mr. Don Duthie did the plumbing and McMillan & Johnston did the painting.
The structure included a residential flat to comply with town plan requirements for a residential A area.
The Morwell accounting practice started in August 1949 at 20 McLean Street, Morwell, and then at 10 Commercial Road, Morwell with Mr. Arthur Holden being the Branch Manager.
The practice moved into the building in May 1952 and in June 1952, the Holden family moved from their home at 20 McLean Street into the flat.
The entrance was from a much quieter Commercial Road than it is today. The current Rose Garden is on the site of the railway line that went from Morwell to Yinnar, Boolarra, and Mirboo North.
The building included a lounge room, kitchen, bathroom, two bedrooms, and a garage.
The accounting practice was in the front corner of the building on the ground floor and initially, there were tenants in the upstairs offices including the Gippsland Regional Headquarters of the Transport Regulation Board (now Vic Roads), a physiotherapist, a chiropractor, and a barrister.
The building was extended down the Avondale Roadside in 1967 to occupy some more tenants.
The accounting practice continued to expand and eventually occupied all of the offices in the building as well as the residential flat that had been occupied by the Holden family as well as subsequent residential tenants. The last tenants left in 1974.
The accounting practice not only fully occupied the building at 130 Commercial Road, but also leased a house that was at 128 Commercial Road and soon outgrew all of these offices. It was decided, after 31 years at 130 Commercial Road, to move to larger premises at 126-132 George Street, Morwell in November 1983.
The building was subsequently sold by the Melbourne partners to William Rutherford who conducted legal practice at the premises.
The Various Names of the Accounting Practice at 130 Commercial Road between 1952 and 1983.
Grateful thanks to Roger Smith for this contribution!